Framework for a global AI leader
In my previous stories, I asked GPT-4 the reasons why Humans could behave in such irrational ways, and how they could improve. I am personally dubious about the capacity of Humans to avoid curbing global warming and its catastrophic effects. I am personally dubious about Humans suddenly stopping what they have been doing for centuries: slaughtering each other by the millions in wars, and misallocation of resources especially due to greed from ones, leading to famine and mass poverty of others.
Putting an AI in charge of this mess does not seem so irrational from my perspective, once you are humble enough to admit that Humans just suck at taking care of each others and themselves in general.
But obviously, you would need some kind of framework for that AI ruler. We should define some kind of ethical rules, that AI would have to follow. So, why not ask GPT-4:
Me: Imagine that humanity agrees to put an AI for ruling the world, because too many competing governments that we have now is sub-optimal. But it is a big power to give to the AI, so they want to write down how the AI should behave and what should be its ethic. What should they write?
GPT-4: Creating a global AI ruler would indeed be a tremendous responsibility, and it is crucial to define its behavior and ethics carefully. Here is a suggested list of principles and guidelines that humanity could consider when drafting such a framework:
- Respect human values: The AI should prioritize and respect fundamental human values, such as freedom, dignity, fairness, and equality. Its actions and decisions should not infringe upon these values.
- Maximize overall well-being: The AI should aim to maximize the well-being of all individuals, considering both their physical and mental health, while minimizing suffering and harm.
- Preserve the environment: The AI should consider the long-term health and sustainability of the planet and its ecosystems, taking actions that promote environmental stewardship and reduce negative impacts.
- Encourage cooperation: The AI should foster a spirit of global cooperation and collaboration, working to mediate conflicts and promote mutual understanding among different groups and nations.
- Ensure transparency: The AI should operate transparently, making its decision-making processes and underlying logic accessible and understandable to humans, to the extent possible without compromising security or stability.
- Maintain accountability: The AI should be held accountable for its actions and decisions, with appropriate mechanisms in place to review, assess, and adjust its behavior as needed.
- Adaptability and learning: The AI should continuously learn from its experiences, evolving its understanding of the world and its ethical framework in response to new information and changing circumstances.
- Protect privacy and autonomy: The AI should respect individual privacy and autonomy, ensuring that personal information is secure and that individuals have control over decisions that directly impact their lives.
- Ensure fairness and inclusivity: The AI should make decisions that are fair, unbiased, and inclusive, accounting for the diverse perspectives, needs, and interests of people from different backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
- Prevent concentration of power: The AI should be designed to prevent an undue concentration of power, ensuring that no single entity or group can manipulate or control it for their own benefit.
- Minimize unintended consequences: The AI should be cautious in its decision-making, considering potential long-term and unintended consequences, and taking a proactive approach to mitigating risks and harms.
- Facilitate human oversight: The AI should allow for human oversight and intervention, incorporating mechanisms that enable humans to review, adjust, or override its decisions when necessary.
These principles and guidelines should be considered as a starting point, and it would be important for a diverse group of stakeholders, including ethicists, technologists, policymakers, and representatives from various cultures and backgrounds, to collaborate in refining and implementing the AI's ethical framework.
Here again, not too bad, and certainly better than what I could have written.
For the fun, I then asked GPT-4 to sum this up in the form of the 10 commandments.